Spaghetti with Cole’s Wild Mackerel & Fennel
- 1 Pound Spaghetti
- 1/4 Cup Olive Oil
- 1 Cup Bread Crumbs
- 1 Onion, chopped
- 1 Large Fennel Bulb, trimmed, cored, chopped
- 1 Tbsp Lemon Zest
- 2 to 3 cans Cole’s Wild Mackerel in Olive Oil
- Freshly Ground Black Pepper
1. Bring a large pot of water and a pinch of salt to a boil.
2. Meanwhile, heat 2 tbsp of olive oil in a 12-inch skillet over medium heat. Add bread crumbs and toast, stirring, until golden. Transfer to a plate and reserve.
3. Add remaining oil to same skillet, add chopped onions and cook, stirring, until softened, about 5 min.
4. Cook spaghetti in the boiling water until al dente. Drain reserving a cup of water, toss with olive oil and reserve.
5. Turn the heat under the onions to medium-high and add the lemon zest, chopped fennel (they should stay crunchy), and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
6. Add mackerel, pasta, bread crumbs and toss well to combine. Add some reserved water to moisten, adjust salt and serve immediately.